I live in a Conservation Area

11. I live in a Conservation Area

Conservation areas exist to protect the special architectural and historic character of a place – rather than being concerned with individual buildings, they are intended to preserve the features of an area that make it unique or distinctive.  The restriction that this imposes on making alterations to, or building, your new home are less onerous than with listed buildings and are concerned primarily with the external appearance of the house.  Development proposals in a conservation area will be assessed as part of a standard planning application process; however the local authority conservation officer will have been consulted on the design and impact of the scheme.  Minor alterations and repairs that may not normally have needed planning permission or may have been allowed under permitted development rights, such as work to trees, boundary walls and outbuildings, are likely to need a planning application in a conservation area.

Richard Roberts in a RIBA-accredited Conservation Architect and our in-house planning team are experts in dealing with applications in conservation areas.

Back To FAQ’s