What is a Party Wall Agreement?

14. What is a Party Wall Agreement?

Alterations to domestic buildings or new buildings sited close to a boundary can often be affected by party wall legislation.  Works that affect a wall, fence or any part of your neighbour’s structure, including works within specified distances of a shared boundary wall or fence, will require notification to adjoining owners in accordance with the Party Wall Act 1996. Government guidance on Party Wall Agreements can be found here. This can become a complicated issue that can take time to resolve if there is disagreement and may require the appointment of a specialist party wall surveyor to adjudicate.  It is usually wise to discuss your proposals with your neighbours first to explain your intentions and hopefully head off any objections.  Avoiding objections from neighbours will also ease the passage of the scheme through the planning process as they will be consulted on your proposals.

Back to FAQ’s